Friday, March 18, 2011

Bootnote

I don't really rate Lewis Page – too full of himself, and only I'm allowed that privilege – but my opinion of him has just soared. He writes:
As one who earns his living in the media these days, I can only apologise on behalf of my profession for the unbelievable levels of fear and misinformation purveyed this week. I have never been so ashamed to call myself a journalist.
Good for him ... and how interesting that we see now three disparate commentators (including myself) note how far over the top the media have been. They won't recognise it, of course, but this is something of a watershed – the time they regressed from being merely childish to fully-fledged babyhood.

Page is right to be ashamed. But the shame is that the people who should be, won't be. They wouldn't even begin to understand why they should.

COMMENT THREAD